Suggestions for your Temple Farm turkey (whole bird)
As soon as possible after collecting your Temple Farm turkey, remove all packaging and store in a cool place, preferably the bottom of your refrigerator.
- Where applicable remove the giblets and keep separately in a cool place.
- A whole turkey is best cooked within two to three days of purchase.
- Remove the turkey from the fridge 2 hours before cooking.
- If your turkey is trussed, it is best to remove the string before cooking.
- Do not stuff the cavity, as this will stop the turkey cooking properly. Instead, place a large Bramley apple or peeled onion inside.
- Season the bird with salt and pepper, then place it breast side down, in a roasting tin. If desired, you can place the giblets around the bird. The oven should be preheated to 230°C/450°F/Gas mark 8 and the bird cooked at this temperature for 30 to 60 minutes, depending on size, before reducing the heat to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Aga: hot oven. (See table for suggested cooking times)
- About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, turn the bird carefully on to its back to brown the breast.
- It is very important not to overcook a turkey – many people do and are then disappointed when it is dry. This can be avoided by either using a ‘pop up’ timer or meat thermometer that detects when the turkey is cooked or testing with a fork on the inside of the thigh – when the juices run clear the bird is ready.
- After removing the turkey from the oven and before carving, allow it to rest for 30-45 minutes. Do not cover.
Drain off the juices from the bird, and keep warm.
THE TIMES SHOWN BELOW ARE GUIDELINES ONLY FOR COOKING A WHOLE TURKEY
Please Note: Oven temperatures vary greatly!
4 kg 2 hrs 10 mins
5 kg 2 hrs – 2 hrs 30 mins
6 kg 2 hrs 15 mins – 2 hrs 45 mins
7 kg 2 hrs 45 mins – 3 hrs
8 kg 3 hrs
9 kg 3 hrs 15 mins
- Hold the leg by the end knuckle, cut close to the body and twist off.
- Carve the dark leg meat.
- Similarly remove the wing and cut in half.
- Slice the breast meat from one side.
- Repeat for the other side.